Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric.
Briar’s efforts to rebuild her life shatter when a dangerous group of magicians arrive in Osman, bringing nothing but trouble and taking Briar’s sister, Ava, with them. Left with nothing, Briar chases down the Nameless Ones with the aid of some mysterious travelers and her own meager magic in a reckless attempt to save her family.
Briar squared her shoulders. There wasn’t really a choice here. If the soldiers couldn’t do anything to help her, then she was just going to have to go after Ava herself.
How to Collect Words:
- Look it up! See what the word means and learn how it’s pronounced.
- Write it down in your word collecting notebook.
- Try to use your new word in a sentence you write today.
- Try to use your new word in a conversation.
- Enjoy your new word and expanded vocabulary!
This month I’m participating in #Indiecember, a challenge designed to spread some holiday cheer to hardworking indie authors. It’s a great way to give back to the writing community, plus you could discover a new favorite book along the way.
So, how do you find good indie books?
- Check out this epic list of titles that Megan Tennant compiled for #Indiecember! You might be surprised by just how many books and genres there are to pick from.
- See what other people are reading via Twitter. Those of us participating are usually eager to get more people to read our new favorite book.
- Do a little research. Bloggers, vloggers, and bookstagrammers know where you should start when it comes to the hottest indie titles. Be sure to check Goodreads lists, too!
- Ask your friends and get them involved!
What do I recommend?
So glad you asked! Here are a few of my personal favorites:
~Meadowsweet by C. J. Milbrandt (first book of a trilogy, completed)
~The Beast of Talesend by Kyle Robert Shultz (first book of a series, ongoing)
~Colors of Fear by Hannah Heath (first short story of a collection, ongoing)
~The Three by Christa Kinde (first book of a trilogy, ongoing)
~The Electrical Menagerie by Mollie E. Reeder (first book of a series, ongoing)
What am I reading?
To keep things interesting, I’m only filling my bingo board with books I finish reading in December. Here are the first three books on my TBR:
FANTASY: The Crystal Tree by Imogen Elvis [YA Fantasy, Action/Adventure]
POETRY OR SHORT STORY: Antiheroes Anthology from the Phoenix Fiction Writers [Speculative Fiction]
20-40 AMAZON REVIEWS: The Tomb of the Sea Witch by Kyle Robert Shultz [Fantasy, Action/Adventure, Steampunk]
What are YOU reading?